Wednesday, October 22, 2008

North America's Other Election

From an October 20th dispatch in The Atlantic: Canada has weathered the global economic crisis with noteworthy grace. Last month, its economy created over 100,000 new jobs, more than in any month in decades. Wages keep growing, and Canada's banking sector is, according to the World Economic Forum, "the soundest in the world." So it shouldn't be surprising that last week, Canadians returned Stephen Harper's Conservatives to power and granted them 19 new seats in Parliament. Like Bush's Republican Party, the Conservatives have expanded their coalition by appealing to working class voters, but they've mainly done it by using targeted tax policies, like the Clinton-era Democrats. Read the whole thing here. A further opinion from Progressive Conservative: Guess I'm not the only one that feels like letting my car idle all night when I hear Elizabeth May speak.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think I may just have a smoke and print 40 copies of this off while I listen.